Sunday, May 20, 2012

DRAKENSBERG and NAMBITI

“Oh what a beautiful morning; oh what a beautiful day!  I have a wonderful feeling;  Everythings going my way!!!!” 

Sunrise in the Drakensberg Mountains

100_1545

This week is one of those times when I felt this song coming on!  I used to sing this to my children and I really don’t think they appreciated it!  But this week was spent amongst some absolutely beautiful creations of our Heavenly Father.  If you ever get discouraged, tired, frustrated or just need a lift, take a walk among your blessings.  The Lord has given us so much and a lot of it is just outside our front door.  Take some time to enjoy God’s handiwork. 

We had a senior couple retreat to the Drakensberg Mountains and then to Nambiti – a game reserve.  I was overwhelmed with the beauty of both places…..so different, but both so amazing. 

Tuesday we left early, took some sweet rolls to Nombulelo and then drove to Nhlangano to attend their District Development Meeting.  They are a great group of Elders.  I really miss having them around us.  We definitely do not get to see them enough!  We missed out on their last baptism and it looks like we are going to miss their next one.  That makes me sad!

We continued on to Newcastle where we stayed with the Millers for the evening.  The following morning we drove with them to Drakensberg Sun where we met up with all the other South Africa Durban Senior couples for a conference and retreat (it is a total of about 7 hours driving time for us).  A beautiful place for a conference.  During our stay there we saw the Drakensberg Boys Choir perform, had a 2 1/2 hour meeting with the President, went on a gorgeous hike to a waterfall, played cards at night with friends, ate and ate and ate and ate again.  It was an all-you-can-eat buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner included in the price of the stay.  The best part was getting to know the couples better.  There were a few that we had not met before and there are 7 couples going home in the next month – so this was our last opportunity to associate with them.  They will be missed and I am so grateful that I have had the privilege of serving with them – even if it was such a short time.

100_1462

100_1469

100_1476

100_1480

100_1484

100_1487

100_1492

100_1506

100_1511

100_1517100_1520

100_1526

100_1528

100_1531

100_1494

100_1499

100_1564

Precious – our dining room waitress

100_1565

100_1572

100_1575

Friday morning we left the luscious, green of Drakensberg for the brown grass of Nambiti Game Reserve.  In my wildest dreams I could not have pictured these accomadations– they were so fun.  They were individual tents with king size beds, bath tub, heated blankets, two sinks and an outdoor shower attached to the room!  They really thought of everything.  Dennis went right for the outdoor shower and loved it! As soon as we got settled we had lunch and then went on our first drive.  We say rhinos, kudu’s, lions, a giraffe, buffalo, impalas, birds.  As soon as the sun goes down it is cold.  So when we arrived back they had hot water drawn in the tubs with candles burning, rose petals and bubble bath.  So guess who got the bath?  I thoroughly enjoyed every minute!  We enjoyed a good dinner and then to bed at 9:15 (imagine me going to bed at that time).  We left for our morning drive at 6:30 where we saw a few more giraffes, elephants, kudus, jackal.  Breakfast was waiting when we returned and then packed up and checked out.  A great experience.

100_1859

100_1584

100_1588

100_1591

100_1595

These are thorns found all over the land!  The animals just plow through them.  Ouch!

100_1596

100_1598

100_1603

100_1617

100_1619

100_1621

100_1626

100_1645

100_1654

100_1684

100_1696

100_1698

100_1784

Lee, our driver. Notice his attire next to ours!

100_1778100_1787

100_1848

When we got to New Castle we packed up our bakki and headed for home.  They had given us mail for the Elders so we went back to Nhlangano where we were able to meet one of their recent baptized ladies and they were teaching her daughter.  It was great to see the Elders in action.  On our way home we almost hit another cow!  It was pitch dark and when we turned a corner, there in the middle of the road was this cow just standing there.  I know that heavenly hands turned that wheel so we could miss him.  There is no way logically that we could have missed him.  For the next 45 minutes we didn’t talk at all – there was total silence.  We couldn’t speak.  I finally said, “Are you okay?” We were so grateful that we were being watched over. I don’t understand why we receive so many blessings, but I am sure glad that he is taking such good care of us.  One thing I was and still am, really worried about.  Just after we drove past the cow, there was another car going the opposite direction, right into that cow, at a pretty fast pace.  We blinked our lights and I sure hope that he knew why, slowed down and missed the cow.  I still wonder if he is okay.  When we arrived home, the elders came over and invited us over for a braai.  They thought we might be hungry, so had steaks and chicken for us.  We gratefully accepted.

Sunday we attended the Mbabane branch because Dennis had to do some temple interviews.  I went to the gospel principles class and then to Young Women.  We left early so we could hurry to the Ezulwini branch to talk to the members about their trip to the Joburg temple that we couldn’t go to.  They loved it and Pres. Shongwe and his wife, Sebe, had a wonderful, spiritual experience being sealed.  I gave Sbu my little camera to take pictures for me and it helped me feel a part of their experience.  They were all so excited!  Those of you at home, take advantage of the temples surrounding us.  These people save and plan for months to go and don’t want to come home.  They did 5 sessions, baptisms, initiatories – some did their ancestors work all the way through.  Such a happy group of members.  Dennis went to meetings and I made rolls.

DSCN1185

DSCF5016

DSCF2362

Whenever we go to Sacrament meeting, Dennis has to sit on the stand.  This little boy just came up to me, got on my lap and spent the entire meeting with me.  His name is Yenzokuhle Mncina.  Now pronounce that for me!!  But isn’t he cute? 

100_1871

Daily I count my many blessings and give thanks to my Heavenly Father for the beauty that surrounds me – both the earth and the people that he created. Take time to express gratitude for God’s work!

No comments:

Post a Comment