Wednesday, April 11, 2012

EASTER WEEKEND

You would not even know it was Easter here in Swaziland.  There are no plastic eggs, no egg dye, no Easter bunny, no Easter baskets, no talks in church about Easter.  The only thing that reminded me of Easter when I went to church was a lady had a beautiful large hat on and I thought, “Oh, an Easter bonnet!”  Dennis and I were asked to bear our testimonies and we both bore witness of the resurrection and atonement of Christ.  Easter was on my mind because I love this time to think of my Savior and all that he suffered for me and then made it possible for me to return to live with Him and our Heavenly Father again.  He is my Redeemer, my Messiah, the Prince of Peace, the Son of God and my friend.  He is the one that I bear witness of here in Swaziland.  He is the one that can bring peace, comfort and prosperity to these people.  Oh, how I love my Savior.  This is the time to honor and remember Him.

Jesus 2                    Christ and little girl              Jesus and Mother     

Jesus

Friday, April 6th was a busy day.  A member from Nhlangano, Ayanda Mabusa, received his mission to Zambia entering the Johanessburg MTC on June 21st – the same day that his brother does.  Elder Mabusa was able to be there with him when he opened the call.  They were both so excited.  The thought came to me,  this is how Joseph and Hyrum must have felt when they shared these type of experiences together.  These brothers are sacrificing so much to go.  They live with their two sisters, 17 and 13, and little brother, 7, alone without parents – their mother has passed away and their father left them.  They have been the source of support for their siblings.  Elder Mabusa accepted the call to serve a mini-mission 6 weeks ago in Mbabane – quit his job and left his family to go and do as the mission president asked.  Ayanda left his home to go to Gege to help interpret for the missionaries there.  He is mentioned in my previous blog on Gege.  They now leave for two years to serve the Lord.  They leave behind siblings with the hope that the Lord and branch will take care of them.  What faith!  I don’t think I would have that much faith.  These people are continually teaching me and showing me the type of person I want to become.

DSCF2104

There was a Ezulwini Relief Society party scheduled for late morning.  After waiting a few hours there were only the Relief Society President, Sis. Chosen, her granddaughter, Candy, a friend and myself and Dennis.  It was suppose to be potluck, so we ate my pasta salad, bread, processed cheese and what they call scones – quite different than what we call scones.  The only activity we did that was planned was clean the church.  It was such a delightful experience.  Again, they taught me.  As they cleaned, they sang.  It was glorious to hear and made the job and time go by so fast.  What an example!!

RS Pres. Sylvia Dlamini, granddaughter - Candy- , and don't know

Later that night we had Jon, Ann and Zak for dinner.  They are here from Cedar City teaching at the University.  Brother Smith is the one that shot all the video for Saints in Swaziland.   100_0278         DSCF2024

There was a soccer game on Saturday between the missionaries and the Ezulwini branch but I think it turned out to be much more than the branch.  There were a lot of young men.  For me it was a reminder of home – watching a sport game.  I loved every moment of it.  I had brought some cookies that I had, so at half-time I headed over to give them to the players.  Dennis said he did not think I had enough.  I reminded him of the “loaves and fishes”.  Miraculously, we did have enough – barely.100_0540

100_0538

We went for a walk down a dirt road and heard singing (kind of chanting) and looked down through the bushes to a river.  There were lots of people down there wading in the river.  We found out they were Zionists cleansing themselves from the evil of Satan.  I am not sure how often they do this or if it was just this Easter weekend, but it was sure interesting.  A lot of the ladies and men were disrobing and walking into the water.  On Sunday these Zionists are all over.  They dress in white robes or some have really colorful robes.  I am not sure the difference.  You see them gathered in large groups walking.  One of these times I think I would like to follow them to see where they go.  But they are in all the cities – adults and children dressed in these robes. 

100_0605    100_0606   100_0604

Later, Dennis was opening the Ezulwini chapel for the YSA’s activity and he saw the Ezulwini Branch President walking down the street with a huge load that he was carrying.  Now, you have to remember that very few have cars so when there is an activity, they have to carry everything with them to the church.  There was a couples dinner at the church that night and President Shongwe was providing the entire dinner – he is a chef at a restaurant.  So he was carrying the food from his home. (I will show you how far later) So Dennis picked him up and said that we would help.  He came and got me and we took him back home – up a dirt, very rutted road – to get the dishes, pots, etc.  I have no idea how he was going to get all of it to the church without our help.  We informed him that he was never to do this again without asking us to help.  We proceeded for the rest of the afternoon getting glasses, tables from the Manzini chapel because they have no tables, lettuce, rolls and etc. for him.  And boy, what a dinner he put on.  It was a four course meal with soup, salad. rice with a steak sauce, chicken and dessert.  What till you see what kitchen he had to work with to prepare this.  I will never complain again about our chapel’s kitchen.  There were around 20 of us.  The food was great, the people were delightful and the dancing after was fun. 

This was taken from Pres. Shongwe’s home.  The chapel is just at the foot of that uprise on the mountain (right above the post).  That is where we live! (Sister Zulu is the one eating to the beat of the music! You’ve got to lover her!)

100_0607

Branch Presiden Shongwe  This is what he had to work with  Pres. Shongwe prepared all this in that little space  The group  Sister Zulu eating and moving with the beat of the music  Dancing

When we went to pick up some tables at the Manzini chapel, the youth were having an activity.  It had just ended but they lingered around dancing and were having such a great time.  I had to take a picture!

Great picture of group

100_0628

100B0680

EASTER!!  We woke up to a beautiful day!!  We were attending the Mbabane Branch which starts at 10:00.  It was our first time at that branch and we were excited to meet the members.  You would have thought that you were in a ward at home.  They had music playing – done automatically by the piano – a large attendance, youth speakers, we bore our testimonies, talk on reverence, primary with classes and sharing time, Sunday School,  YW and YM, Relief Society and Priesthood.  It was great!  But what made it a marvelous Easter was the three baptisms after the block time.  There was a couple and a young lady.  Such strong testimonies and a spirit about them that witnessed they will be a wonderful leadership part of this branch.  They confirmed Bro. Hlatshwako because he is so busy, but the sisters will be confirmed next Sunday.

Elder Castleberry, Bro. Siphesihle Hlatshwako (he is the bodyguard for the Prime Minister), Thuli Emaculate Coglin , Sis. Delisa Hlatshwako, Elder Kanyembo, Elder Brown

DSCF2111

For our Easter celebration we had all the Elders over for dinner.  It was wonderful having our home filled with the laughter and joy of young men!  We had 16 elders and Ayanda came up also.  We ate roast, potatoes with the fixins, homemade rolls and a Easter Bunny cake and ice cream.  The Elders were taking a bet whether the Easter bunny would be white and dark!  Dang, I had not even thought of that.  Of course, I should have made it dark for Swaziland.  Next year, my bunny will be dark!!  We had a short Easter presentation with the Easter story and a DVD with a little gift.  It completed a wonderful Easter!

100_0751   Easter 2012 (3)   100_0756  Elder Brown's birthday  Swazi Zone Elders April 8, 2012  100_0750

I did miss my family.  Homesickness really set in after the elders left and I thought about my family gathering together for an Easter celebration with all the kids having an Easter egg hunt, food galore and all the wonderful things that come with family.  I miss you terribly!

Every 30 days we have to take our bakki to the boarder and cross into South Africa and then come back. I have no idea why but it is required.  So Monday we headed with the Manzini elders to do our duty but when we got there, the line was huge – probably hours of waiting to get across then we would have to turn around and come back.  We forgot that Monday was a holiday, duh!!  So we turned around and went to the Ngwenya glass blowing factory.  They make all these beautiful glass figures from recycled glass.  Our pictures did not turn out very well.  We will have to try it again.  It was amazing.  I do not know how the workers survive in that heat of the ovens.  So very hot!!!  But what comes out is absolutely gorgeous.

DSCF2121  DSCF2128  DSCF2151

I came home and made some cookies for the elders and a family that we were going to visit.  We have four elders that live right across the road from us.  They had gathered there later and played a game with Dennis that he brought from home.  They had a great time and of course, they always love a treat.  We had an appointment to go with the Manzini elders to a family for FHE.  The mother was not there so we will have to return another time.  But all was not lost, because we went to another home with a family that is waiting for some important papers from the Congo that will clear up some matters, so they can get baptized.  It was such a great visit.  Their son was baptized a few weeks ago (I have a picture of his baptism) and they are anxiously waiting for their turn. 

Tuesday, we joined the Public Affairs Committee to discuss the upcoming BYU Young Ambassadors.  During the meeting Dennis received numerous phone calls with problems, so we had to leave.  He spent the rest of the day fixing problems while I fed elders that dropped by with problems, members that came with needs and to wash our bakki, and even strangers that came to pick up papers for us.  It was a good thing that I woke up early this morning and made Texas sheet cake because it goes a long ways!  Some of the problems were: the rent for the boardings in Swaziland  (the Elders and us) have not been paid – due on the 1st; leases for some of the boardings have not been signed; the government would not stamp a work permit for one of the elders coming to Swaziland during transfers next Monday so we have to get his passport; had to get the papers for the other elders that are coming back to Durban; just a few simple things in the life of the Elder of a Swazi couple.  I did what I enjoy most – fed and visited with everyone.  At the end of the day, all was satisfactorily taken care of by my dear husband.  What a good man I am married to!!!

Public Affairs Committee – Musa Tempe, Dudu Verde, Pumi Gamedez, Jerome Shongwe, George DlaminiPublic Affair Com Musa Tembe, Dudu Verde, Pumi, Jerome Shongwe, George Dlamini

At the end of the day, when Dennis and I kneel for prayer, we express our gratitude to our Heavenly Father for the opportunity to serve Him in such a wonderful land as Swaziland.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! you guys are busy. Those boys that are leaving their siblings behind have such faith. Wow is all I can really say. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete