Wednesday, August 24, 2016

OUR TRIATHMOMS 20 August 2016

A triathlon is an athletic contest in which participants compete without stopping in three successive events, usually swimming, cycling and running.
A triathmom is an athletic contest in which "450 moms" compete without stopping in three successive events, usually swimming, cycling and running.  And 6 of those 450 MOMS were our daughters.

On Saturday, 20 August six of our daughters gathered together to compete in a thriathmom were they swam for 300 meters, biked 13 miles and ran for 3.1 miles.  This was quite an accomplishment considering most of our daughters did not know how to swim 4 months ago.  But through lessons and practice, practice, practice they were able to finish all three events. 

They began with the swimming at the South County Pool in Riverton and with that many women, they started them every 5 seconds which did not give much space in between swimmers. But after 6 laps in the pool, they proceeded to biking.  Everyone can ride bikes, but when you had hills and endurance it becomes a little bit more difficult.  (Two of our daughters are riding a 100 mile bike ride in September.) And last was the run which is something they all have done (most of them have ran the Ragnar which is a 200-ish miles of road running with 12 friends and 2 vans in scenic locations). They crossed the finish line together where their families were waiting for them.

One daughter wrote  "..everyone had their own reasons for doing it.  One wanted to try something new.  Another wanted to overcome some fears and set some physical goals. My goal was absolutely to have fun with people I love. ...It was so much fun to train together! We did a trial run of the whole thing at least 3 times together. Went to swimming lessons together. Rode bikes together....they are already talking about doing more triathlons together..."

Another wrote, "I remember just being happy and smiling throughout the bike ride and the run; I was on a high.  And it carried through to the after race refreshments, pictures, activites for the kids, and really the rest of the day.  It was an incredible day.  And now looking back, I am so so glad I didn't let my fear keep me from doing this.  I faced my fear and learned to swim; I learned I enjoyed my husband's favorite activity; and I strengthened relationships and made new friends.  This was a journey of self discovery; and it was good."

OUR TRIATHMOMS


Isn't that a beautiful sight??
Success!


You are my ROCKSTARS
The fans......


On a previous blog I wrote about going to a soccer game in one of the largest stadiums in the world and I wrote....AND WE WERE THERE.  This blog I write AND WE WERE NOT THERE!  My heart is tender right now.  In the last few weeks I have missed the birth of our sons first child, a grandson receive the priesthood, a granddaughter get baptized, and watching 6 daughters compete in a TRIATHMOM.  These are hard moments....are times when I remind myself that I can do hard things......but it is not easy.  Growing up our children knew that we would be at every important event in their life.  So not being there for theirs and our grandchildren's important events now makes it hard. But I rely on the testimony of our apostles and my own testimony that what I am doing is what the Lord desires of me.  
Robert D. Hales has said..."What is the best way to teach our children~~and grandchildren~~light and truth?  What is the most important way to set our families, both immediate and extended, in order?  Is it possible that in spiritual matters our example speaks louder than our words?  Temple marriage, family prayer, scripture study and family home evening are all vitally important.  But there is another dimension~~the dimension of service.  If we are willing to leave our loved ones for service in the mission field, we will bless them with a heritage that will teach and inspire them for generations to come."

In 1830 the Lord called Thomas B. Marsh to leave his family and go into the mission field.  Brother Marsh was greatly concerned about leaving his family at that time.  In a tender revelation, the Lord told him, "I will bless you and your family, yea, your little ones....Lift up your heart and rejoice, for the hour of your mission is come....Wherefore, your family shall live...Go from them only for a little time, and declare my word, and I will prepare a place for them" (D & C 31:2-3, 5-6) "It is just possible that these are the blessings that are needed most for our children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and future posterity."

I am putting my trust in my Heavenly Father and His apostles.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next year my ROCKSTARS, I will be there to cheer you on every stroke, pedaling, and step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment