Thursday, February 2, 2012

Things I am going to miss

We have 31 days until Dennis and I begin our 18-month adventure in South Africa.  As I was thinking about what lies ahead of us, I started thinking about all the things I was going to miss. It is the simple things that came to mind.  Like:

Southern Temple Trip 00054

Our temple trips that Dennis and I have taken the last few years.  Our goal is to attend all the temples in the United States. Every trip includes a temple that we can go to.  We are up to 47!

Southern Temple Trip 00209

Watching our grandchildren expressing their personalities.  Misti taught them a dance and they had a great time.

DSCF1144DSCF0970

Our sleepovers!!!  The girls get together and do girly activities and the boys get together for a night of boy activities.

IMG_0390

IMG_7607

 

Southern Temple Trip 00010DSCN3974_3325

023 (1)Our family traditions:  our grandchildren triathlon, adult 1/2 marathon on Labor Day weekend, Snowbird, Heber Valley Camp, our Sunday dinners, Super Bowl party, General Conference, Good Things Utah excursion every year on Nov. 30, etc.

IMG_4234

Easter 5IMG_2861

Our family holiday gatherings:  New Years, Valentines, St. Patrick’s, Easter, 4th of July at the fireworks tent, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and I am sure I have forgotten some.  We take the opportunity to get together for any reason we can find.

DSCF1713

FOOD:  The Lombardi’s love food.  This was our Thankuary dinner held in January. Remember, any reason to get together to eat and enjoy each other’s company even if we have to make one up.

DSCF1814DSCF1819

Basketball.  I love watching my grandchildren play ball.  I love watching my boys play ball.  I love watching anyone play ball.

NCAA Basketball Tournament Raleigh Second EUjJNQBbZV0l[1]

Did I mention that I love basketball?  I love the NCAA Tournament.  It is pure bliss for me during March Madness.

NCAA Final Four Butler UConn Basketball

And more basketball!  Do you think they play basketball in South Africa? I sure hope so. Dennis said that we will have to put up a basketball hoop at our place and introduce it to them if they don’t.

DSCF1834DSCF1839DSCF1835

Our humble home that has been my heaven for almost 39 years.

DSCF1836

Our bed with our electric heating pad. Don’t you think I can take it with me!

DSCF1773DSCF1729

My special needs friends.

407642_332016960163957_100000669666550_1046074_787468730_n[1]SD531932

My friends.  I realize that I have very few pictures of the people who have made such a difference in my life – my dear friends.  I really have to remedy that before we leave.  So, friends, get ready because I will be by to get some pictures.  I cannot be gone for so long without a picture of you. The upper picture is Sandi Martin being a flamingo. The lower picture are our dear friends from our Guest Service Mission on Temple Square. .

DSCF1282

My 94-year-old father.

Lombardi_16x20But, what I am going to miss the most is these 32 incredible people that I call my FAMILY!

2 comments:

  1. We will miss you more, I am sure! What a very thoughtful post, mom. It is going to be really hard for me to come to your house and not have it be "home" for me. I think I might cry every time I go for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I really think it might be worth the extra cost to take your heating pad along. Ask Terry how I groan in pure pleasure when I get into my nice warm bed. It is one of my most favorite parts of the day.

    ReplyDelete