Saturday, May 21, 2016

STAND AS A WITNESS 3 - 13 May 2016

I have spent many years of my church service in Young Womens.  Every week we stood and repeated the Young Women's theme....."We are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves us and we love Him.  We will "stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places" Mosiah 18:9. I have been asking myself lately, "Do I "stand as a witness of Christ at all times and in all things, and in all places?"  "Do I really believe what I was repeating every week for so many years?" And now that I wear a badge that declares to all that I am a representative of our Savior, Jesus Christ, am I truly a witness of Christ at all times and in all things, and in all places?  This thought has been overwhelming me.  When we approach someone, they are immediately drawn to our name tag which declares to the world that I am a disciple of Christ.  There can be no escaping.  Am I being that witness to the world of the love of our Savior to all His children?

The other week when we were stuck at the Swaziland/South Africa border for over two hours, I didn't feel much like being a "witness".  At one point I told Dennis that I wanted to take my name badge off and let off some steam to anyone! I didn't care who received my wrath.  But, all those years of repeating the theme every week, brought back the thought that even without my name badge, I am still a witness and should be at all times, in all things and in all places no matter the situation and no matter my position. I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father and He loves me and I love Him.  I want the world to know that.  The Lord has blessed me with so much - a most amazing family, wonderful friends, a magnificent world to live in but most importantly the gospel in my life.  They have figured that I had 1 chance in 20,400,000 of being born in the gospel.  What a staggering and humbling thought.  With all that I have, it is my obligation to "stand as a witness" through words and actions and declare to the world of His love and existence to all mankind.

I want to remind you of Pres.Gordon B. Hinckley's request for all of us to STAND A LITTLE TALLER.  He said, "Now my brethren and sister, the time has come for us to stand a little taller, to lift our eyes and stretch our minds to a greater comprehension and understanding......This is a season to be strong.  It i a time to move forward without hesitation, knowing well the meaning, the breadth and the importance of our mission.  It is a time to do what is right regardless of the consequences that might follow.  It is a time to be found keeping the commandments.  It is a season to reach out with kindness and love to those in distress and to those who are wandering in darkness and pan.  It is a time to be considerate and good, decent and courteous toward one another in all of our relationships. In other words, to become more Christlike." 

It is my prayer that I will "stand as a witness of God at all times and in all things, and in all places" as I serve Him here in Africa and continue being a witness until I can embrace Him on the other side and thank Him personally for all that He has blessed me with. 
MOTHER'S DAY  was Sunday 8 May and I spent a lot of time the previous week preparing for it.  I realized that what makes me most happy is doing special things for others.  I hope that doesn't sound like I am boasting or arrogant....I don't mean it to.  But doing projects for others, makes me happy and that is what I really needed.  So I purchased some scarves, made a HAPPY MOTHERS DAY card, attached it, bought thirty candy bars, made a saying to wrap around it.....and I was ready for the special day.  Friday, I delivered all the scarves to the missionary sisters and some of the employees, passed out candy bars to others and saved some for the mothers in the Tzaneen Branch on Sunday. It was fun.....kind of selfish because I enjoyed it so much.



The rest of the week was spent in the center doing projects for Bro. Holmes, getting ready for some meetings and following up on advisers.  
Wednesday, 4 May 2016 Gerard, Deseree Dan Jean from George arrived at the temple with their daughter, Elizabeth.  We had met them earlier (in 2015) when they came to the temple to be sealed as a couple.  Their daughter was living in France so was not with them.  This time Elizabeth was in town, they flew in from George and were sealed as a forever family.  They came over for dinner to celebrate. 
The DanJean family from George
Gerard, Elizabeth and Deserre (can't believe that this was the only picture I took.  We were having so much fun, I forgot!) Such a great family. 
 Nathi Nhlabatsi (a Swazi now living in Pretoria) came to the center to visit us.
 The young man on the left served in the Durban Mission the same time we did, Elder Tshepiso Khombane  He never made it to Swaziland but came to the border a few times as AP to meet us while transferring elders  He taught and baptized his future wife (along with Elder Alex Brown)  while in Durban.  After mission convinced her to marry him and move to Botswana.  Looks like a good decision.


 Thursday, 5 May was Cinco de Mayo game night.  We had Mexican finger food and played Mexican Train.  I love these couples!!!
Beckstrands, Lees, Gattens
 Grafs, Elder Lee, Frenchs, Sister Lee
 Powell, Jubber, Sister Weeks and me (we came straight from work)
The weekend was spent in Tzaneen. We left early in the morning. It is a nice drive until we get to the Tzaneen area and then it is spectacular.  It is so similar to Hawaii - lush foilage, palm trees and rolling hills.  I fell in love with the area when we first came for our anniversary and we wanted to return while Elder and Sister Campbell were still there.  They leave for home on 16 May. We arrived at noon and then traveled with them to the Mutupa group where they were having a going away party for the Campbells.  They remembered our visit with them in February and greeted us with love and hugs.  We played games and ate and helped them clean the buildings.  It felt so good to be with the people doing service. We attended church in the Tzaneen Branch, watched the women's session of conference and then spent the rest of the day saying good-bye to all the people that the Campbells had fell in love with.  It was a great Mothers Day for me - visiting people in their homes.  It made me wonder who we will say good-bye to when we leave.  Other than the senior couples, we do not have the opportunity to really get to know people here.  Most of the people we meet in patron housing, come and go.  The people we interview seldom pass our way again.  I want to change this.  We have six months left to leave an imprint here somewhere.
The journey to Tzaneen - sorry about the hazy pictures





 I was trying to capture the colored leaves - did't quite do it.  But fall is upon us and it is beautiful.



 These are banana trees.  The blue bags are placed around all the bunches of bananas to protect them from the tree leaves.
 This is Sharon Makgoba from the Mutupa group.  She was taught and baptized by Elder Zweli Dlamini from Swaziland...just a year ago.  She is heavily involved in doing her geneology.
 Helping clean the chapel.

 Matching ties and not even planned
 This young man is the group leader - counselor in the branch presidency over Mutupa because he lives here
 This picture of Elder Zweli Dlamini was hanging in one of the rooms.  This was Elder Dlamini's favorite area on mission
 Sharon and her sister

 Sister Loretta Campbell greeting Julia - the group's number 1 missionary.


 The even sweep and clean under the tree because they hold classes here on Sunday.
 Me and Julia
 Where we had our FHE lesson and games



 This is Kudu - we divided into teams and he insisted on Elder Lombardi being on his team.
 Their team



 This young girl is waiting for her mission call
 I brought suckers and noise makers and the kids loved them


 This tree has character

 Trying to figure out how to use it
 Eating
 The Campbell's will be truly missed

 Time for gifts
 Departing Mutupa
 Dinner and again matching ties
 We found our Church History poster on the bulletin board
 Tzaneen building chapel


 Relief Society sisters with their Happy Mother's Day candy bar....


 Molly....she made her dress

 Council meeting on Mother's Day??????
 Blurry but loved the picture
 A family from the Mutupa group that we found walking home from church
 This is outside the Tzaneen chapel building - our name in Africans

Motupa's group leader - Matome Petrus Sebetola


 This is Opa (?).  He is leaving for the Madagascar mission in a few weeks.
 District President James Mabulele Manzini and his wife
 Their grandson with a new suit that the Campbell's brought him
Meet Worry
Monday, 9 May 2016 we went to Kaross - (Kaross is derived from the Khoison word meaning 'blanket'.  It is a metaphor for a happy gathering of people, participating in the customary activity of embroidery.). Kaross was started by Irma van Rooyen around 30 years ago.  She employees women in the Mopani area of Tazaneen to do their traditional embroidery work.  She supplies the material and the yarn and they create!!!  She then pays them for their masterpiece and then they pick up more materials.  This enables the women to work at home while looking after their households.  Each artist signs her name of each piece of work. I loved meeting some of these ladies.   
This lady was on the side of the road.  Loved her colorful clothing. 
 This is where the ladies present their final product for review and assessment.
This sweet ladies final product - look how magnificent!  She started this project in January.
 Ladies waiting to show their final products
 Children also waiting
 She was doing her final touch ups

 He looked like he was going to fall out any moment.

 They are just so sweet.
 They let me attempt at embroidering.
 The owner, is starting a new project.  She has taken pictures of all the ladies stitching.  She is personally drawing them on the fabric and then has a lady that is embroidering.  Look how magnificent.
 We saw this lady today bringing in her wares
 This is a family project they are working on - the picture and the drawing
 Irma, the owner, and the lady doing the embroidering of the profiles.
 I have no idea what that bump on his head was


 After the projects come in, they are sewn as pillow cases, wall hangings, purses, runners, etc.

 This man has been drawing for Kaross for four years.
Here's what we bought at Kaross.  It is hard to see the intricate workmanship of these women.  You will just have to come visit when we get home to see how really magnificent they look.


Tuesday,  I wore my Congolese outfit.  This sweet lady who was going to be sealed to her family that afternoon, posed with me.  Her's had "bling" all over.  I will have to work on that.
 My dear Swazi daughter, Portia, posed me for this shot.  So very uncomfortable for me.
 Zephred Macanda from Kagiso Ward.  We did an oral interview with him to capture the early church history in Soweto.
Elder and Sister Wood came in to visit. They are heading for the Durban mission to be in the office.  She volunteered in the Church History Center in Salt Lake before they came on mission.  His father had been mission president here in South Africa when he was a teenager, so he had lived here for 3 years.  He was happy to return.  We went through books and found pictures of him with his father and family.
 These darling girls were waiting in the lounge.  I couldn't resist a picture.

 Some more that I just had to "snap"
 I love these children....all ages!
Stan and Rene Gorman in the patron housing office.  Rene does an amazing job with those coming to the temple looking for accommodations. 
 Friday, Elder Ulisses Soares of the quorum of the Seventies, addressed us in the devotional room.  What an inspirational man.  He was here for a short time as a counselor to the Area Presidency.  He and President Cook arrived at the same time to the Africa Southeast Area.  Elder Soares was called back to Salt Lake after just 1 1/2 years (January 2013) to be a part of the Presidency of the Seventies. 

 It was sort of a farewell to the Cooks also.  They each bore their testimonies.  Their lives are going to change in such a short time.  They will be so missed!
 President Cook expressed his love for his Area family and told us that through Jesus Christ we can do all things here in Africa.  Then told us if we stand together we will be strong.  A 2 x 4  8 feet long board can hold 600 pounds.  Two 2 x 4  8 feet long boards bolted together can carry 4000 pounds.  If we are bonded, we can do more!
Kevin & Claudia Hamilton, Lynette and Carl Cook, Elder and Sister Soares, KK & Stanley Ellis
 FEW NOTES FROM THE WORDS OF ELDER SOARES:

FIVE LESSONS WE NEED TO LEARN WHILE SERVING:

  • This is the Lord's work - 1) we are entitled to revelation to do His work; 2) be humble enough to know that we don't know everything; 3) include Him - you'll make less mistakes
  • Strive to develop Christlike attributes - be kind, loving, motivating, always inviting, engaging  1 Timothy 4:12
  • Work hard
  • Increase your testimony while laboring in this work
  • Be teachable - be humble; we don't know everything so be willing to learn
That night we went to dinner with the Powells and Jubbers and then over to our home for late night games




HAPPY BIRTHDAY MILES!!!   On 12 May it was our dear Miles Arkell's 7th birthday.  This young man is and has always been a joyful, vibrant youngster.  While they were living with us, he always greeted us with smiles and a joyful greeting.  We will be home next year for his baptism. Hope you had a most wonderful birthday! 



"...as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another's burdens, that they may be light; Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrections, that ye may have eternal life.....Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?  And now when the people had heard these words, they clapped their hands for joy, and exclaimed: This is the desire of our hearts."   Mosiah 18: 8 - 11

1 comment:

  1. I think you have always stood as a witness of Christ. You and Dad are the best examples of being a witness of Christ that I have ever seen. I'm glad you didn't show those people your wrath, because that can be scary.

    ReplyDelete