Tuesday, March 27, 2012

FIRSTS

Whenever you start a new adventure, there are a whole lot of firsts!!  Your first birthday, first anniversary, first child, first home, first blessing, first prayer, etc.  Well, I have completed a whole lot of firsts the last few weeks.  I have left my family for the first time, I have been away from my home and the valley that I love for over two weeks for the first time, starting my first mission, the first time in South Africa, the first time in Swaziland, surviving my first week in a home in an unfamiliar country, fed the mission president and his wife dinner for the first time, the first ever I was awaken by a rooster crowing in our front yard, witnessed a baptism as a missionary for the first time, it was a first to sing in church without an accompanist, for the first time I played the piano for Sacrament Meeting, Sunday School and the combined Relief Society and Priesthood meeting (since when do we have an opening song and closing song in Sunday School but these people love to sing), went to our first game reserve, saw first hand how the humble live, for the first time saw more people walking than driving cars, listened to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in our car for over an hour and enjoying every minute was really a first for me, saw monkeys in my front and back yard for the first time, it was a first to see children playing in a river with just their birthday suit on,  women holding their heavy bags on their heads was a first for me, really understanding for the first time the extent of our Father’s love and witnessing His presence in every day life.  I am sure I missed a whole lot of firsts and I am sure there are many more firsts to come, but I want to thank my Heavenly Father for opening my eyes and my heart to this wonderful country and magnificent people.

 Saturday, we attended a baptism for a young 13 year old – Wonder Sicunusa Dlamini – in the Manzini Branch Chapel.  It was such a sweet experience to be there and witness the Lord’s work first hand.  His mother, Thembi, has had the desire to be baptized for 2 1/2 years but because of some legal matters, she has to wait.  She bore her testimony to me that this church is the only true church and the only thing she desires is to be baptized.  She knows some day she will.

100_0312100_0314Manzini Chapel 2

100_0311

Manzini Chapel

Early Sunday we drove to Nhlangano, about 1 1/2 hours, through amazing country to attend a branch conference.  They meet in 3 trailers and we filled the “chapel”.  It was a conference for the Nhllangano Branch and Gege group.  The Gege group had to rent kombie’s (taxis - volkswagon vans that are stuffed full of people) to get there and they had 50 saints come.  They tell me it is about a 30 – 40 minute drive on dirt road.  We have a set of Elders serving in that town and they are accepting the gospel with such enthusiasm.  They were so fun to meet and the children were incredible.  They had meetings all day and some of those children were there from 8:30 – 4:00 without food, rest, or any of the normal things children have, and they were happy and I never heard them complain. 

They needed a piano player and I said I could play with the simplified hymn book which they showed me.  But then, of course, they wanted some that were not in that book, so I played with one hand.  Luckily, the piano had an organ switch which drowned out my mistakes and lack of another hand.  I played for all sessions.  During the later meeting, I heard the children singing I Am A Child of God and I couldn’t restrain myself anymore and had to leave to go hear them.  As tears streamed done my face, I knew I was witnessing our Heavenly Father’s love first hand.  Their voices were sweet, loud, melodic and sung with testimony.  How lucky I was to be there.  Later, while the men had meetings, we played “ooga booga look” (no idea how to spell that), a too-te-tot (again no idea how to spell), big boody (? this one they even knew) and games and songs from Swaziland.  It was fun!

Gege & Nhlangano branch Primary & Sis MahlalelaMe with children in Nhlangano branch100_0473100_0474

Pres. Von Stetten and his wife came for dinner on Saturday night which  was part of our first rain storm in Swazi.  I had our table outside all set up and it started to pour but luckily the table did not get wet and we continued to eat outside.  It was delightful.  Den was not at home when they first came.  He had to meet the Ezulwini Branch President at the chapel to exchange chains and locks for the gate.  He walks a long ways to get there, so Dennis ended up taking him home.  His road is dirt, rutted, rocks and the worst road I have ever seen (we took another family member there today) and it started to rain and was dark, so he was late getting home.   But it ended up being a wonderful evening. The president had interviews with all our Swazi Elders on Sunday, so I invited them over again for left overs.  We had a great visit with them.  What spiritual giants they are.

I have had two amazing Sundays here.  I cannot imagine it getting better than this.  But I still have two branches we have not visited yet.  I am sure I have a whole lot of firsts to come!

Love you all and thanks for sharing my experiences with me.     Taunia 

100_0318100_0323Our finished tray

                                                                                                          Road to Nhlangano

2 comments:

  1. Mom, we LOVE sharing these experiences with you. There have already been so many in just these two weeks, I am so excited to hear the rest of them!!! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, you had me crying when you talked about listening to the children sing "I am a Child of God." I so wish I could be there doing this with you; how I would absolutely love it! I know I am going to love these people so much in 18 months.

    ReplyDelete