Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Our Mission Begins

I do not know where to begin.  So much has happened since last I wrote.  It has been a whirlwind of studies, flying and meeting the most warm, humble, respectful people.  I am truly blessed to be here serving the Lord in such an incredibly beautiful and friendly place---Swaziland.

 The MTC was a great place to spend for a week.  I do not believe I would have liked to have been there any longer.  The couples were incredible people.  The church is in good hands with couples with such strong testimonies and love for the gospel.  I made a host of new, wonderful friends.  I feel so fortunate to have been there with them.  The family blessed us with goodies every day.  We were the envy of everyone there – couples and the young missionaries!  Studying Preach My Gospel was a joy but role playing was terrifying.  How can someone as old as I am be frightened of a simple mock interview?  But it really did come in handy for Dennis on the airplane.  He had two chances to talk about the gospel.  The Lord is very wise in how he prepares people.  The food was way too much. We ate at 7:00 a.m., sat in class, ate at 11:30, sat again, ate at 4:30 and then studies.  Really, does anyone really eat that much.  But how can you resist when there is a whole buffet of really good food there for you to eat and you have already paid for it?  Unfortunately, I didn’t.  We left on Friday and returned to our amazing family.  (I forgot to mention, the adults came down on Thursday night for a reunion at the BYU creamery.  Yum!) Sunday was Dennis’ birthday and we all celebrated at Koy’s home (even though we found out later that Cassie had pneumonia).  I love being with my family.  That is the thing I miss the most.  The Lord blessed me with the most supportive, amazing family.  I really do not deserve them, but am extremely grateful. 

The scene at the airport on March 12, 2012 at 9:30 a.m. was not pretty.  Can you imagine saying good-bye for 18-months to 34 people that you love and adore.  I thought my heart was broken and I could not bear the pain.  But I survived, my heart did not break and I boarded the plane.  We flew almost 4 hours to Atlanta, Georgia.  During our 3 hour layover, Dennis had the opportunity to talk to some gentlemen about the gospel and we met a young LDS mother returning to her home in Johannesburg.  Our flight to Johannesburg was nearly 16 hours! It was not a full flight so all the middle seats were empty.  A blessing for us because we had more room to stretch.  I loved the individual screens and choices of movies.  I watched a show made in South Africa and then one of my favorites – Sense and Sensibility.  I was in and out of sleep most of the 16 hours.  And again, they fed us throughout the entire flight.  At this rate, I am going to come home looking like the elephants.  It was tricky getting to the plane in Johannesburg to Durban.  They say we were not allowed as many luggage pieces as we had so they charged us and then hurried us to a bus who drove us to the airplane which we got on the old fashioned way – stairs from the outside.  We arrived in Durban in a rainstorm.  Now, you have to know that I had on black polka-dot rain boots!  They were too heavy to pack so I wore them.  So I was prepared for the rain.  I arrived in style and with dry feet!  We were greeted by a mission office couple named the Zweifel’s.  Delightful people that immediately became dear friends.  They drove us to our bed and breakfast owned by a member named Grace.  Oh, what a beautiful place and a gracious woman.  It had been a very long two days.  It was 10:00 p.m. on Tuesday.  We were ready for a long rest in a bed. (We were just interrupted by the elders who dropped by to say Hi! 

The next few days consisted of meeting more amazing senior couples (remember, I told you the church is in very good hands).  The Gunderson’s drove us around all day on Wednesday showing us the mission office, Durban, and taking us shopping for things we needed.  I put my feet in the Indian Ocean.  That is something I never thought I would be able to do.  They had Dennis drive a little while to get the hand of driving on the wrong side of the road and on the wrong side of the car.  He did okay but Sister Gunderson was ready for him to give the wheel over to her husband.  We spent Wednesday night with the Gunderson’s and Henninger’s visiting and eating pizza.  Thursday, we attended Zone Conference were we met Pres. Von Stetten and his wife and young missionaries.  It was a great conference. Dennis was set apart as a counselor in the mission presidency by Pres. Von Stetten.  We then had dinner with the Von Stetten’s.  We had a great time getting acquainted – a great couple.  Friday, we arose early, got a car and the Nuzman’s let us follow them to a Petro Port where we met the Blackburns.  From there we drove to Swaziland – finally our destination. (We smuggled in a wheelchair.)

 Now, the Blackburns are legends in Swaziland and now I know why.  Fun, vivacious and they know all the connections in this country.  Saturday was a day filled with driving to the 3 chapels in this area – Ezulwini, Manzini and Mbabane.  Then to all the tourist shops that guests like to go.  Dennis was driving all this time and did great except he got a speeding ticket – 60 rand; about $7.50 which is paid on the spot.  We went to dinner in a really nice place called Summerfields – it is a hotel with a nice restaurant. 

Sunday was amazing.  We went to the Ezulwini branch.  The moment we walked in people were there to warmly greet us and made us feel so welcomed.  Such gentle, loving people.  Some walk miles to attend.  They walk miles to do anything.  Even though there is red dirt all over, their clothes are clean and pressed.  The singing was incredible.  They had no piano but the chorister got up and they sang with vigor.  It was beautiful.  Dennis and I were asked to bear our testimonies and the Blackburns said their good-byes.  We attended the investigator class which was taught by an excellent teacher – Sbu.  We then received instructions on what we needed to do because the Blackburns are leaving tomorrow.  An American LDS couple, Jon and Ann Smith, invited us for dinner and we had a great time.

 

Monday, the Blackburns left and we moved into our new home.  It was good to unpack.  Living in suitcases is not enjoyable.  The best part was reuniting with our computer!!  Boy, I missed the communication to my family.  I do not know how couples did it before the internet.  I believe it was discovered just for senior couples to make a mission bearable.  We went shopping and I found out that food is different here – prices and what they have. Boy, do I miss Wal-Mart and Costco.  But I will get the hang of it.  I was reminded that I am not buying food storage so just buy a few things that is necessary.  There is a couple that used to live in our ward years ago, Don and Leslie Peterson, that are in Johannesburg serving as Area Humanitarian directors.  They happen to be here checking some projects and we have been able to be with them.  We had dinner Monday night and spent most of Tuesday with them.  Tuesday was an incredible day!  It started with Dennis and I providing breakfast for all 16 elders of the Swazi mission.  They were in for Zone meeting and we invited them to breakfast.  Feeding 16 hungry young men pancakes without a griddle is an experience.  We had scrambled eggs, hash browns and orange juice, also. Needless to say, they ate everything.  I used almost 50 eggs.  They held their meeting on our veranda.  While they were meeting, the Petersons and myself went to see a lady on a sewing machine project in place named Stella.  We have a lot more to do on that project.  Then Leslie and I attended a women’s group and talked about this humanitarian project of making sanitary belts and pads for young girls between the ages of 12 to 18.  The “tea” was at our landlady’s home just down the path and there were 8 ladies and it was delightful!  We presented our project to them and they were very interested.  They even asked questions about the church which was an added bonus.  I was invited to attend monthly with them….every third Tuesday.  Seriously, they were so fun to be with.  I loved it.  We spent 2 1/2 hours visiting.  I am going to invite them to see the BYU Young Ambassadors when they come in May.  Then we drove to a private school for the handicap and under privileged called St. Joseph.  The church had provided wheelchairs for them and now working on a water project.  It is hard to believe that children attend schools and live in places so run down.  There is such a need here for humanitarian services.  We met a group from the states that are here doing an ophthalmology project.  We have a member that has lost his eye that we are trying to have seen by this group.  So many things to do for such a friendly people.  They wave and smile to everyone and grateful for the simple things. 

 

The Peterson’s left this morning, so we are pretty much alone now.  The missionaries had us follow them this morning to a bike shop where we have to get two bikes fixed.  We also have to get a washing machine fixed somewhere.  That we have to work on.  Dennis had a mission presidency meeting on Skype this afternoon for two hours and I worked on papers and I am still trying to arrange things.  We did more shopping and I actually fixed my first dinner in our home.  I have been working on this blog for a long time because of interruptions and there is so much to share.  I will be more pro-active so the blogs will not be long.  Lots of info can be boring but this is for my posterity.  I want them to know how much I love my Heavenly Father and his Son.  How much he loves all his children no matter where they live or under what circumstance.  He loves us all and knows each of us individually…even as far away as Swaziland.  Read  Alma 26:37. 

 

I am grateful for this opportunity.  I pray the Lord will continue to bless us as we continue to serve here.  There is so much to do and I feel so inadequate.  Pray for me that I will learn their names!  I believe that a persons name is sacred to them and I am crucifying them.  They are being patient but I really want to learn them.  In church on Sunday, I was trying but not doing to well.  The young man teaching the investigator’s class said, “Sister Lombardi” and then motioned for me to the blackboard and he spelled his name for me – Sbu (saw-boo).  I think that next time I go to church, I am going to bring name tags and have them wear them.  Don’t you think that is a good idea? It is a simple thing, but important. 

Arriving at the MTC – March 5, 2012In front of the MTC - March 5, 2012

Our MTC District – Bells, Barkers, Gibsons and Bro. Whiting

Class at MTC

Greetings at the Johannesburg airport

Arriving in Jo-burg 3-13-12

Our first South African friend – Grace at her B & B

Grace

Durban Mission Office Couples – Gundersons, Zweifel, Andra, Delamare

Gundersons, Sister Zweifel, Andra (maintenance) Sister Delamar

Richards Bay Zone at Zone Conference

Pres. & Sister Von Stetten and the Nuzman’s

DSCF2003

Meeting the Blackburns at the PetroPort

Mtg. Blackburns

Arriving in Swaziland

Swaziland

Our B & B in Swaziland – Mandelina’s

Our room was on the top floor where the little windows are

Mandalena B&B2

Dinner at Summerfields

Zawacky, Peterson, Blackburns

Zawaki, Peterson, Blackburn

Den being a warrior – not too scary

Warrior and dad

Sbu from Ezulwini Branch

Sbu - Ezulwini

Making a giraffe at the Swazi Candle Market

Giraffe

Our veranda

100_0192

Our front room

100_0165

Our Swazi Zone breakfast

Our Zone breakfast

Manyembo, Mabuza, Brown, Castleberry, Nthombela

100_0160

Paulo & Roberts

Monkeys in our front yard

100_0194

100_0185

We wake up to his loud voice every morning

He is loud!

We love and miss you all and may the Lord continue to keep you under his watchful care.  Taunia

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the update!!! We love hearing about what you are doing.....my girls were so excited to come home from school to find this post. Glad you found eggs. I thought you said you couldn't find those either. Looks like so much fun!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this... I knew you would love this adventure. "Fill the Font" Love you to the moon and back... Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad for this post! I don't care how long it is, I like hearing what's going on, but I also know it's annoying to do such long blogs. But it brought tears to my eyes because you are having such an amazing experience! I am sure you will learn the names and I'm sure you guys will be legends by the time you leave!

    Oh, and I'm not surprised Sister Gunderson was ready for Dad to stop driving. Sometimes I'm ready when he's driving on the right side of the road! Love you dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beaitiful photos. Beautiful experiences! Love you guys. Thanks for the updates. I feel as thoigh I get to live vicariosly through you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS-Shurolla is Cheryl Adams' google name. :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh! How I have loved reading of your first African experiences. It has brought back so many memories of those same first life-changing experiences I had. You will never be the same; only changed for the better.

    To remember difficult names of people and places, I have used this trick: I keep a small notepad with me and write down the phonic spelling and then add little details to help me remember the person (a defining physical characteristic, where and when we met, etc.). I refer to my little notebook often when I think of the person. Later I try to find out the correct spelling and I write this next to the phonic spelling. This has worked for me for many years. Maybe it could work for you, too. Plus, it's a great way to remember the details for journaling later. xoxox Tami
    PS. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete